Haleigh appeared on the other side of the wormhole a tad disoriented.... she had been well prepared to be completely eradicated.... the blast was coming, and she watched, ready for it to hit. She wasn't afraid of death, yet, unlike Sharon, she didn't necessarily welcome it. She dared to doubt that the blast, as ominous and impressive as it was, would truly kill her. She was incredibly resistant to concussive forces of any kind. She could hold an exploding nuke in her bare hand and experience no skin damage.... incendiaries and chemical or biological warfare had little effect on her. At worst, she'd be thrown haphazardly for some ten or twenty feet and be knocked out briefly. The most terrible aspect of it all was not the idea of excruciating pain.... but the nagging terror that she'd be the only one to survive. The others didn't have the TO virus to boost their resilience.... MOST of them were already half dead ANYWAYS... the holocaust would likely just put them out of their misery. Haleigh didn't think she'd be able to go on if she lost her entire team... the survivor's guilt alone would kill her if the blast didn't.
But she never got to find out..... because at the last second, she was whisked away to this place.... where there was serene tranquility and the steady lap of waves at the shore and a wonderfully refreshing breeze. She knew she wasn't dead....
I mean really.... I couldn't be. This isn't hot enough to be Hell and there ain't NO DAMN WAY my decadent ass would ever go to heaven. She thought, as she looked around.... and spotted the Rotunda, which caused her to immediately realize where they were. The Isle of Aerie.... she furrowed her brow..... it was a rather off the wall place to end up. The others discussed it.... Haleigh was just glad they were all okay..... but as they talked more about it, she could sense frustration rising... and she looked down at her watch.
"3....2....1--"
Alison said:
why Aerie? why dont you ask HER
:: pointing at Delilah.::
this is her doing...as is most everything ELSE that has happened.
"[to herself] Yep."
Now that they didn't have to band together in order to survive, they did what they ALWAYS did.... tear into each other. Haleigh was just pleasantly relieved that THIS time.... SHE wasn't on the chopping block. THIS time... it was someone else. It was a rare vacation. Haleigh was about to step in and try to diffuse the bomb that was about to explode between Alison and Delilah when KAREN did it instead. Haleigh did a double-take. Karen was saying almost the exact thing Haleigh herself might have said. The hybrid suddenly gave and expression like she had an acrid taste in her mouth.
OH. MY. GOD. I'm turning into Morgan's MOTHER. Next thing I know, I'll be running around acting like a complete snob, forcing my opinions down people's throats and threatening to turn them into port-a-potties! She thought, mortified by the idea. She looked around furtively and then tried to reassure herself.
Alright, I must REMAIN CALM. I am not now, and never shall I be, a PSYCHO therapist. By some FREAK twist, we just so HAPPEN to agree. There's NOTHING wrong with that. Nothing WRONG with me. Maybe SHE'S becoming ME. [glancing surreptitiously at Dr. Victoria]
That's still disturbing. [rubbing her temples]
I need a drink. And a cigarette.
Delilah retaliates, surprising Haleigh by actually SWEARING, and stomps off. Haleigh manifests a flask and a small metallic case... she promptly takes a sip and then lights a cigarette before turning towards the ocean and sitting down on a large rock.
"THAT went well."
She delivered with sarcasm, taking another sip. She paused a second, thinking things over, as Ava tried to patch things up and sent Nicolas after Delilah.
"How about some GOOD news.... Since I'm a paranoid schizophrenic, I keep my money far FAR away from banks and investment companies and any OTHER place the feds can get their grubby hands on it.... so while they've likely FROZEN all the assets of ours that they could find, I've got plenty of funds stowed away safely..... more than enough to support us all.... just so long as nobody wants to get a Rolls Royce for Christmas. I can arrange for fake passports and identification papers for all of us... just pick yourself a new name and get back to me. I've got dibs on 'Kate'. We'll all have to change our appearances a little.... most ESPECIALLY you, Morgan. Hey, how do you guys think I'd look as a redhead? [scrunching her nose] too drastic. Strawberry blond?"
She asked lightheartedly. It was more than just her way of lightening the mood. They were HERE.... there was nothing they could do to change what had happened.... so they'd might as well make the best of things.... and figure out where to go from here.